Shorttakes 2013 Judges
- Alexis Denisof: Actor (Buffy, Angel, How I Met Your Mother, Much Ado About Nothing)
- Matthew Gray Gubler: Actor (500 Days of Summer, Criminal Minds)
- Erika Lust: Writer, Producer, Director
- Wentworth Miller: Actor (Prison Break), Writer (Stoker)
- Nasim Pedrad: Actress (Saturday Night Live)
- Eli Roth: Writer, Director, Actor, Producer (Grindhouse, Inglorious Basterds)
- Alec Smight: Director (CSI)
- Martin Starr: Actor (Freaks and Geeks, Knocked Up)
- Brad Tiemann: Director (The Buried Life)
- Alan Tudyk: Actor (Firefly, Serenity, Wreck-it-Ralph)
- Dave Willis: Writer, Director (Aqua Teen Hunger Force)
- Mary Elizabeth Winstead: Actress (Scott Pilgrim, Smashed)
Shorttakes 2013 Panelists
- Tommy Chong: Known best for his marijuana loving antics in the hit Cheech and Chong films, Tommy Chong is a Canadian-American actor, writer and director. Some of Chong’s other credits include the documentary a/k/a Tommy Chong, The Simpsons and That 70s Show. Chong is a marijuana activist and a musician.
- Kel Mitchell: Kel Mitchell rose to prominence with his impeccable comedic timing on All That, Kenan and Kel and the classic 1998 film Good Burger. Aside from his well known work in front of the camera, Mitchell has also provided his voice to animated shows such as Pink Panther and Pals, and more recently on Rob Dyrdek’s Wild Grinders.
- Mindy Sterling: With a career spanning over 30 years in Hollywood, Mindy Sterling is an actress and voice actress best known for her roles in the Austin Powers series as evil henchwoman Frau Farbissina. Sterling has had roles in numerous television shows such as iCarly, Desperate Housewives and A.N.T. Farm. Sterling’s voice credits include The Lengend of Korra, Mars Needs Moms and Robot Chicken.
- Rider Strong: Rider Strong is an American writer, director and actor best known for his beloved role as Shawn Hunter on Boy Meets World. Strong has also starred in Eli Roth’s Cabin Fever and co wrote and directed the short film, Irish Twins, with his brother, Shiloh Strong.
Shorttakes 2013 Finalists
- Cupcake (Comedy) - Kelly Artz (UCLA)
A tenacious kiddie pageant veteran becomes enraptured with the perfect cupcake and will do whatever it takes to get it.
- On How to Feel Better (Drama) - Joshua Kang (Art Center College of Design)
Please follow these steps and you will be okay.
- Charon (Documentary) - Ryan Rambach (Occidental College)
The story of Myron Dyal, a man diagnosed with temporal lobe epilepsy who experiences strange hallucinations and visions that affect the creative output of his artwork.
- The Drifter Condition (Drama) - Donna Du (UCLA)
A young woman recalls a moment from her past.
- A First Time For Everything (Comedy) - Ryan Elkins (UCLA)
A guy buys condoms for the first time.
- The Doctor of Bagram (Drama/Thriller) - Neil Paik (UCLA)
An embittered American trauma surgeon treats the wounded in Afghanistan, where soldiers and civilians endure the horrors of war.
- Mad Minifigs: The Dish Situation (Animation/Comedy) - Zach Macias (UCLA)
A LEGO parody of AMC’s critically-acclaimed series “Mad Men,” “Breaking Bad,” and “The Walking Dead.” When DISH Network, one of SCDP’s top television accounts, drops AMC from their lineup, Don Draper takes drastic measures to bring their beloved channel back to the forefront.
- Kissing (Documentary) - Oscar Gutierrez (UC Santa Barbara)
A student produced film from UCSB exploring the subject of why humans kiss.
- Room 237 (Drama/Thriller) - Cheong Wai Marcus Chan (UCLA)
A couple has an argument when she tells him she thinks her apartment is haunted.
- Broken Wing (Animation) - Amos Sussigan (Woodbury University)
A boy uses a Rubik’s cube to show his friend how to see the brighter side of life.
- Slip Chain (Drama/Thriller) - Margaux Moores-Tanvier
This film is a thriller/horror on a dog sitter, an empty house, and a dripping sound…
- Is it You? (Drama/Thriller) - Peter Murdmaa (Baltic Film and Media School)
A spooky story about the man, who did not finish the phone call at the right time.
- Battle of the Jazz Guitarist (Documentary) - Mark Columbus (UCLA)
A son makes a tribute to his Dad, the greatest jazz guitarist in the world (and by world, I mean Fiji).
- R I S E (Animation/Comedy) - Zach Macias (UCLA)
A LEGO re-imagining of a scene from The Dark Knight Rises. Also, probably one of the few TDKR parody videos out there that’s not about Bane’s voice.
- It Ain’t Easy Being Green - Daniel Watson (Occidental)
IAEGB tells the story of a college guy who ends up at a stoplight party – wear green if you’re single, yellow if it’s complicated, and red if you’re taken. He’s the only one wearing green and retreats to the bathroom, where he discovers an anonymous, deadmau5-esk, DJ with his helmet off. When the DJ slips into the bathroom, our hero steals the helmet and jumps on stage, uncovering the truth about popularity.
Shorttakes 2013 Sponsors
Campus Events Commission would like to thank Adobe, Sony, Spotify, the UCLA Store and UCLA’s Student Alumni Association for furnishing prizes for the winners and the audience.